Euclid is an industrial city in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA. Located on the north-east coast of Cleveland, it extends over an area of 30 km² on the banks of the lake. In 2010, Euclid had 48,920 inhabitants. The city is named after the Greek mathematician Euclid.
Situation in Ohio
|Foundation:||1877 and again 1903|
|Time zone:||Eastern (UTC-5/-4)|
|inhabitants:||48,920 (status: 2010)|
|population density:||1,766.1 inhabitants per km2|
|area:||30.0 km2 (approx. 12 mi2)|
of which 27.7 km2 (approx. 11 mi2) country
|ZIP/postal Codes:||44117, 44119, 44123, 44132, 44143|
|area code:||+1 216|
Situation at Euclids in Cuyahoga County
Euclid is located 17.7 km northeast of the city center (Public Square) of Cleveland. The city area stretches 6.2 km along the shoreline of the Lake of Rijeka from the East 185th to the East 280th Street (after Clevelander census). Further south, the area rejuvenates between the East 200th and East 260th Street. Once again, south, the borders shift a little westward to the area between East 174th Street and East 220th Street. The maximum north-east-southwest extent is 10.3 km.
The southern tip of the city is crossed by the Euclid Creek. It is formed from the confluence of three smaller streams and then continues northwest and ends up in the Ereia on Clevelander.
The city area will be cut into three sections by two main arteries, Interstate 90 and U.S. Route 20, both running parallel to the banks of the lake. While in the south-east and especially in the north-west part there are extensive residential areas with small-part construction, the middle part is characterized by industrial and railway facilities. Most of the public facilities are located on the north side.
The reason for this pronounced division was the introduction of a construction plan in 1922, which for the first time made mandatory the use of types of sites, building heights and the way in which buildings were used. This new practice at the time was intended to prevent uncontrolled development of the building. A real estate company named Ambler Realty had acquired land in anticipation of unbridled development and subsequently challenged the development plan. The ensuing court dispute ended with the Supreme Court declaring building plans constitutional.
Neighboring towns and communities are (clockwise) Willowick, Wickliffe and Willoughby Hills in the east, Richmond Heights in the south-east, South Euclid in the south and Cleveland in the south-west.
The first settlement, Euclid Township, dates back to 1796, when 41 employees of the Connecticut Land Company surveyed demanded compensation from their employer for poor working conditions. They were then received on 30 June. September of that year 25 square miles (64.75 km²) of land allocated for 1 dollar per acre with the contractual permission to settle in this field. They named the settlement according to the Greek mathematician Euclid because of its professional background. The official founder is a certain David Dille.
In the first two decades of the 19th In the 19th century, Euclid Township was in direct competition with the neighboring Cleveland, which eventually won the Ohio-Erie Canal in 1827. In 1850, Euclid Township received a train connection. A number of Dolerite mines were first established as a noteworthy industry; Otherwise, the area remained agricultural and small-town. Between 1870 and 1920 wine was grown.
In 1877, the town was officially founded as a village; But they soon gave up their self-government. In 1903 the second and this time the final foundation took place. Other parts of the township soon followed their own paths as East Cleveland (1903), Cleveland Heights, South Euclid, Lyndhurst and Richmond Heights (all 1917).
In 1930, the Village Euclid was converted into a town with 12,753 inhabitants.
The Second World War brought significant changes in the location of defense industries. A Thompson Productions aircraft engine plant, a rolling and tube mill and a production facility for chassis parts by Cleveland Pneumatic Aerol were created. Furthermore, since 1926 construction machines were manufactured by Euclid Inc. and since 1932 addressing machines and matrix printers by Addressograph Multigraph. All of these companies grew very fast.
The post-war development intensified further; In 1951, Lincoln Electric welding equipment and Reliance Electric electrical industrial equipment were added. Cleveland Pneumatic was sold to General Motors in 1947 and converted production to body parts for the automotive industry. By the early 1980s, more than 140 companies had settled in Euclid. By 1970, the population grew to over 70,000 inhabitants.
In the 1980's, significant parts of the industrial base eventually broke away when a number of firms closed or reduced their production facilities (AM 1982, Euclid 1985, GM 1982, and GM 1992). This has also led to a significant decline in the population, which continues to this day.
In 2000, the white population was the largest, accounting for 52.2% of the population. For many decades, groups of German and Slovenian origin prevailed in the city. Since the 1980s, however, the proportion of the black population has risen sharply, from 9% in 1980 to more than 16% in 1990 and 30.6% in 2000 to now 44.6%. This upheaval has already led to political tensions. In August 2007, the city was ordered by the court to change the division of its electoral districts in order to stop discriminating against black people in obtaining public office. In March 2008, Kandace Jones was the first black to be elected to the city council and to a public office.
The age structure shows a slight natural decline in the population. There is a striking "gap" among 20-24-year-olds that is typical of Cuyahoga County, with the exception of Clevelands itself. However, those over the age of 65 are more strongly represented than the average, which in turn emigrate particularly strongly.
Catholics have traditionally been the largest religious community in the region. Its share of the county's total population is around 35%. The other major US confessions, such as Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, and Mormones, each account for 0-3%. Judaism is also relatively strong in the county, with 5.67%.
The first church in Euclid was built in 1860 with the Catholic parish of St. Paul on Chardon Road in today's industrial area. As the city grew, more churches followed in residential areas such as Holy Cross (1924), St. William (1946) and St. Robert Bellarmine (1953). Today, a total of six Catholic parishes exist in the city. The relevant diocese is Cleveland.
The local congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has existed since 1942 and had exactly 441 members in 2006. The Baptist Church has existed since 1979, the Protestant-Methodist Church has two places of worship, the Mormones having one. In total, there are 28 churches and church areas in the city area, with 13 different denominations.
Next to it is a Buddhist temple in the city. The Cleveland Buddhist Temple was originally set up in Cleveland in 1944 for interned Japanese Americans and moved to Euclid in 1970 after a fire attack.
mayor and town councilor
The city government consists of a nine-member city council and a mayor (mayor), whose position is limited to representative tasks (weak mayor). Instead, the largest political power comes from the council president, Kirsten Holzheimer Gail.
The nine city councilors will be elected for two or four years and may be re-elected up to two times. The chairperson is elected by the city as a whole, the eight other members represent the same number of constituencies (wards) and are elected by a simple majority. Seven of the city councilors, including the chairman, belong to the Democratic Party, the other two are Republicans. The current parliamentary term will run on 30 March. 29 November 2009.
Mayor is Bill Cervenik; He was appointed 13 November 2003. Mayor of the city elected and re-elected in November 2007. Cervenik is also a member of the board of trustees of the local parastatal transport company Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA).
Budget and finance
In 2005, the urban budget generated revenue of $55.8 million and expenditure of $58.2 million. Net assets are reported at $61.7 million. By far the city's most important source of income was the municipal income tax of 22 million, followed by receipts from receivables and concessions of 6.4 million and property tax of just over 6.1 million. The city also had 17.2 million revenue from fees. The largest municipal expenditures were public security at $21.5 million, administration at $11.1 million, and sanitation at $10.7 million.
The municipal income tax rate is 2.85%. The tax was first introduced on 1 January 2004. 1%. Since then, it has been increased in several steps to today's rate.
Economy and infrastructure
Euclid is still industrial despite the decline of manufacturing in the 1980s. The largest employers are Lincoln Electric (welding equipment) and Park-Ohio Industries, with a forging and pressing plant with more than 2,000 employees each. Other local industries include nuclear steam generators (Babcock & Wilcox), aerospace and electrical engineering. Otherwise, the change will be felt mainly in the form of several large vacancies in industrial areas. The city is trying to promote new commercial settlements through a series of urban development programs.
In 1977, on East 260th Street, a former factory site, the Euclid Square Mall shopping center opened with 65,000 m² of retail space and 3,400 parking spaces. It is mostly empty today.
Due to the location of Euclid, just north-east of Cleveland and on the southern shore of the Lake of Eiger, almost all major land transport routes are oriented towards the neighboring metropolitan area and therefore take a southwest-northeast direction. The Interstate 90 from Chicago via Cleveland to Buffalo is about two kilometers from the shore of the lake. it has several exits in the city area. On the eastern outskirts of the city, Ohio State Route 2 is also a junction. The city is also located within the Clevelander ring, which runs approximately 6.5 kilometers east and meets the Interstate 90.
In addition, Ohio State Route 283 runs directly along the banks of the river and the U.S. Route 20 (Euclid Avenue) passes through the south-east residential areas. The U.S. Route 6 diverts east of this.
Two railway lines of the CSX and the Norfolk Southern line run directly next to the motorway and about 500 meters southeast. Both routes run parallel from Cleveland to Buffalo and, with only a few Amtrak long-haul trains, are used exclusively for freight transport. CSX operates a freight railway station in Clevelander area just south-west of the city. There is no passenger railway station.
The nearest airport is Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. It's about 10 miles southwest of Cleveland. In Richmond Heights, Cuyahoga County Airport is a small airport for general aviation.
Euclid is also connected to Cleveland and some of its surrounding municipalities via several RTA bus lines.
A daily newspaper, the Euclid News-Herald, is published in Euclid. The long-term weekly Euclid Sun-Journal was closed on July 31, 2009. Plain Dealer from Cleveland is also the largest daily newspaper in Ohios.
The TV market offers a number of regional television stations from Cleveland. They all belong to the major media companies (Networks) in the country such as NBC, ABC, FOX or the Spanish-speaking Univision and broadcast their shell programs. In addition, more than two dozen local and national radio stations of different genres are available.
The Euclid City School District is the same as the city area and comprises seven elementary schools, two secondary schools, a high school and a charter school with a total of about 6500 students and 510 teachers. The Board of Education is funded by the proceeds of 0.47 percentage points of municipal income tax. The local library holds some 300,000 media.
Culture and sights
Euclid Beach Park was the most famous attraction in the context of Euclid. The amusement park, like the Coney Islands, was located 1.5 km west of the city border on the banks of the lake and was in operation from 1895 to 1969. It is now in the place of blocks of flats; However, his entrance gate was preserved.
In the city itself is the Albert W. Henn Mansion. The residence of the Industrial Henn was built in 1923 in a blend of Tudorstil and American Craraces. It is now admitted to the National Council of Historic Places. The house can be visited and rented for events.
The Shore Cultural Center serves as the cultural center of the city and organizes various events. There are also several outdoor pools, an ice sports hall and an urban golf course with 18 holes. The museum shows exhibits from the fields of wine, industry and transport.
In addition, some sections of the lake shore are publicly accessible. However, bathing is prohibited at least in these areas due to the germination of the seawater caused by the largely unexplained discharge of rainwater.
Sons and daughters of the city
|Charles Francis Brush||(1849-1929)||inventor of carbon arc lamp|
|Jerry Tarkanian||(1930-2015)||former basketball coach|
|Michael David Adamle||(* 1949)||sports journalist and former American football player|
|Mary Jo Kilroy||(* 1949)||Democratic politician, member of the US House of Representatives|
|Dennis E. corner||(* 1950)||Democratic politician, former member of the US House of Representatives|
|Hollis Resnik||(* 1955)||singer and actress|
|Terrance Edward Kennedy||(* 1956)||former baseball player|
|Sunita Lyn Williams||(* 1965)||astronaut|
|Robert Ghrist||(* 1969)||mathematician|
|Robert Scott Smith||(* 1972)||former American football player|
|Brett Daniel Tomko||(* 1973)||baseball player|
|Jessica Beard||(* 1989)||jumper, world athletics champion|
|Stipe Miocic||(* 1989)||MMA fighter, weight|
Personalities related to Euclid
- The industrialist Albert W. Henn (1865-1947) lived from 1923 until his death in the said house.
- Roger Zelazny (1937-1995), the American fantasy and science fiction author, spent his childhood in Euclid. Whether he was born here is obviously not entirely clear.
- Gary Mawson, a Canadian-American dartplayer, resides in Euclid.